Director of Financial Aid
Company: Northern Virginia Community College
Posted on: June 21, 2022
Posting Summary Role Title ------12 month - Administrative - In
Role Code ------01123-FP FLSA ------Exempt Pay Band ------00
Working Title ------Director of Financial Aid Position Number
------280FA298 Agency ------Northern VA Community College
Agency/Division ------NV280-Office of Student Services Work
Location ------Fairfax County - 059 Hiring Range ------Hiring Range
is $82,028 to $125,000. Starting salary is commensurate based on
experience and education within the specified hiring range.
Emergency/Essential Personnel ------No EEO Category
------A-Officials/Administrators Full Time or Part Time ------Full
Time Does this position have telework options? -Telework options
are subject to change based on business needs- ------ Does this
position have a bilingual or multilingual skill requirement or
preference? ------ Work Schedule ------Monday - Friday (8:30 am -
5:00 pm) Sensitive Position ------No Job Description ------
Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) is the second largest
community college in the United States and the largest public
educational institution in Virginia. NOVA has more than 71,000
students and 2,600 faculty and staff members. As one of the most
internationally diverse colleges in the United States, with a
student body consisting of individuals from more than 180
countries, NOVA is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and
equitable Virginia by fostering excellence in higher education. As
an Achieving the Dream "Leader College," NOVA is committed to the
principles of access, opportunity, student success, and excellence
by meeting the educational and training needs of the region and its
people with excellent and affordable courses and programs, offered
by an inspired and committed diverse faculty and support staff.
With six unique locations throughout our region, each conveniently
located within 40 miles of Washington D.C, we have Northern
Virginia covered. NOVA's Alexandria Campus is located seven miles
from the nation's capital, just across the Potomac River from
Washington DC; the Annandale Campus, with its urban feel and
suburban appeal, is ranked as the most diverse in Virginia and
boasts a thriving Koreatown; the Loudoun Campus is located in a
comfortable suburb steeped in colonial history; the Manassas Campus
is located next to Manassas Battlefield Park, site of the first
major battle of the Civil War; the Woodbridge Campus is home to
municipal parks, state parks, and national wildlife refuges; and
the Medical Education Campus, located in Springfield, is a uniquely
specialized campus that stands apart from what most community
colleges can offer, with the area boasting an abundance of hiking
and biking trails, and parks with nature and wildlife areas. NOVA
offers an opportunity to make a difference with outstanding career
opportunities and competitive total rewards benefits, including a
comprehensive health and dental insurance program, generous paid
leave, deferred compensation plans, paid parental leave, state
employee discounts, and a solid and secure retirement system. NOVA
embraces opportunities to create a college community that is a
welcoming and inclusive place to learn and work. We do this by
fostering a sense of belonging and ensuring equity while
maintaining an open, civil, and safe environment for our students,
faculty, staff, and guests. In so doing, NOVA fulfills its mission
to offer world-class teaching and learning to the Commonwealth of
Virginia. The security of our students, faculty, and staff is very
important at NOVA. Please take a moment to review . General
Description:The Director of Financial Aid is an integral member of
the Enrollment Management and Student Sucess (EMSS) team in support
of the College's mission of student access, retention, and
completion. The Director coordinates and manages all aspects of
financial aid programs, ensuring compliance with all federal,
state, and institutional financial aid regulations, policies, and
procedures. The Director is also responsible for federal and state
financial aid reporting and oversight of compliance audits. The
Director of Financial Aid is responsible for planning, organizing,
and supervising the Office of Financial Aid, college-wide, to
ensure a student-focused approach in the administration of federal,
state, and institutional financial aid funds and services. The
Director of Financial Aid works in collaboration with other EMSS
directors to undertake process and procedure reviews, and
collaborate in the implementation of new technologies and workflows
to improve services to students. The director plays an important
role in student enrollment and retention efforts for the College.
This position has college-wide responsibilities that requires
travel between campuses and to off-site locations, as well as some
evening and/or weekend hours. Duties and Tasks:
- Work directly with all NOVA Financial Aid staff to ensure
outreach and clear information and guidance for students, proper
system set-up, adherence to rules and regulations, timely and
consistent processing, and response for reporting needs.
- Act as the Financial Aid liaison between the College Financial
Aid Office (CFAO), the VCCS, and SCHEV.
- Initiate and adhere to direction, policies and procedures
provided by the VCCS and SCHEV.
- Create an environment of cooperation that reinforces the vital
relationship between NOVA Financial Aid and the VCCS and between
NOVA Financial Aid and the college as a whole.
- Participate in pertinent NOVA and VCCS meetings, to initiate
discussion and processes that will enhance financial aid
processing, maximize efficiency, and provide leadership in
interactions with other NOVA offices.
- Ensure effectiveness and efficiency of financial aid processes
by establishing and maintaining staff schedules and roles, and by
monitoring compliance and staff adherence to all pertinent federal,
state, VCCS, and NOVA Financial Aid and institutional policies and
- Ensure timely availability and accuracy of information, reports
and assistance to those requesting the services of NOVA Financial
- Maintain frequent direct contact with other offices on
- Collaborate with other offices on financial aid policy and
procedures and interrelated issues.
- Collaborate with key administrative campus offices and outside
consultants as needed and requested.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
- May be required to assist the agency or state government
generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
Special Assignments ------May be required to perform other duties
as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state
government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by
the Governor. KSA's/Required Qualifications ------Required KSAs:
- Advanced regulatory and application knowledge of financial aid
programs, policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with computer applications related to financial aid
as well as student information systems.
- Knowledge of office procedures, various office equipment, and
excellent written and oral communication and organization
- Ability to work well with students, staff and other offices for
successful resolution to complex problems.
- Ability to work independently in identifying and addressing
students' financial aid needs as they relate to financial aid
application and college processes.
- Knowledge and ability to follow rules, regulations and
understand standards established by the college, VCCS, state and
federal financial aid programs.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while
managing multiple tasks and demands.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when necessary or
- Ability to establish goals and priorities and make decisions
based on program and institutional policies.
- Ability to interpret and explain academic and administrative
policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with PC software, particularly Microsoft Office,
and PeopleSoft Student Information System.
- Familiarity with web-based software and systems, particularly
NLSDS, COD, FSA Schools Portal, FAA Access online.
- Flexibility and willingness to learn new systems.
- Strong belief in the growth and development of staff.
- Must be an enthusiastic, creative, team player with excellent
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and rapidly changing
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Cultural awareness and competency demonstrated by working with
and/or understanding of individuals of diverse identities such as
socioeconomic level, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, and
veterans including those with different levels of academic
preparation, varying physical and learning abilities. Required
- Master's Degree in higher education administration, college
student personnel, business, finance, or related field required
from a regionally accredited institution.
- At least seven years of progressive financial aid experience in
a higher eduation setting.
- Three years of supervisory experience. Preferred Qualifications
- Seven years of progressive financial aid experience in a
community college setting.
- Five years of recent supervisory experience in a community
college financial aid setting.
- Proficient in use of a student information management system
(Peoplesoft) as well as experience assisting with the
implementation of new student information management systems.
Operation of a State Vehicle ------No Supervises Employees
------Yes Required Travel ------n/a Posting Detail Information
Posting Number ------FAC_602P Recruitment Type ------Public Number
of Vacancies ------1 Position End Date (if temporary) ------ Job
Open Date ------06/01/2022 Job Close Date ------07/01/2022 Open
Until Filled ------No Agency Website ------https://www.nvcc.edu/
Contact Name ------ Email ------ Phone Number ------ Special
Instructions to Applicants ------ Additional Information ------
Background Check Statement Disclaimer ------The selected
candidate's offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a
criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint
checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification
of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally,
selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth's
Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow
this link: EEO Statement ------The Virginia Community College
System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all
backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce.
Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment
free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are
based on business needs, job requirements and individual
qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the
basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual
orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political
affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit
factors. ADA Statement ------The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative
Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities
Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable
accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application,
interviewing and selection processes. E-Verify Statement ------VCCS
uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United
States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide
documentation of your identity for employment purposes. Quicklink
for Posting Supplemental Questions Required fields are indicated
with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you possess a Master's Degree in higher education
administration, college student personnel, business, finance, or
related field required from a regionally accredited institution?
- * How many years of progressive financial aid experience in a
higher eduation setting do you possess?
- 0 -2 years
- 3-6 years
- 7-10 years
- 11 or more years
- * How many total years of management/supervisory experience do
- No Experience
- Less Than 1
- 1 to 3 Years
- 3 to 5 Years
- Over 5 Years
- * I understand that only information provided at the time of
the application submission will be considered when determining my
qualifications and only responses to Supplemental Questions that
can be verified in my application and resume will be credited.
- No Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts Optional Documents
- Other Document
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
Keywords: Northern Virginia Community College, Annandale , Director of Financial Aid, Accounting, Auditing , Annandale, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!